spinning in circles

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Spinning Break

All right, so I haven't posted in a while. But I've been doing things like hanging out with the Zombie Prom Date Knitters, spinning, and buying yarn.

When I came home from school on Wednesday, Mom told me about this cute wheel she saw on Craigslist. So, we went to see it to see if it was a working wheel. We were able to get it spinning, so it followed us home.

little wheel!

Mom thinks that it was probably built for decoration only so she calls it the toy wheel. After she did a little work with her dremel, I started spinning up a braid I bought from the Yarn Hollow when we were at the Fiber Expo in Ann Arbor last fall.

merino silk braid in zen

It's an 80/20 blend of merino/silk in Rita's zen colorway.

zen singles

Then, we took the Toy wheel with us to Threadbear's spinning night on Friday. They were having their spring sale and I bought silk!

First, I bought Artyarns Regal Silk

artyarns regal silk

In the store, they have the Ruffle Scarf from Scarf Style knit up in silk and I really like it, so I think I'm going to make one with this. Then, we stopped there again, and I bought more silk.

jade sapphire maju silk

This is Jade Sapphire Maju, I bought two skeins in that color. On Friday, I was having an argument with myself. I couldn't decide if I should get the blue and brown one, which would go with a lot of stuff I already own, or if I should buy the really bright and colorful pink stuff that would only match my socks. I finally bought the blue and brown one. But when we stopped by the store again on Saturday, I ended up walking out with the really bright stuff.

Then, on Saturday, we went to the Spinning Loft in Howell partly to see if we could fit the little wheel with a new flyer or bobbins. I also wanted to see what lace yarns they carry because I'm knitting a shawl for my school project and didn't have anything in my stash that fit well and when we were at Threadbear, all of the yarns they had weren't quite what I was looking for. When I didn't find what I was looking for at the Spinning Loft, Beth, the owner, suggested I spin for my project. Then, she suggested different rovings/threw stuff at me. It took me forever to decide because all of her suggestions were really good. I finally picked out three colors of bamboo.

bamboo

And Carina was very nice and let me borrow her Majacraft Rose for spring break. I started spinning on it right after she brought it over.

bamboo spinning in progress

It treadles really nicely and makes a nice lace weight, especially with the lace whorl. I've been just randomly grabbing different colors, so there won't be any striping or order to the colors.

Another one of Beth's suggestions followed me home, but not for this project.

Karaoke Rainbow

It's Karaoke, a soysilk/merino blend. The color is called Rainbow and I'm thinking it would make some great socks.

2 Comments:

  • At 6:06 PM, Blogger Holly Bee said…

    It's Spin Terrific!

    Glad to see you have internet connection again after living in the Pink House for so long without it!!

     
  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    I love that rose - and I still can;t believe you can spin on the toy! Can't wait to see that bamboo knitted up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home