spinning in circles

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Ignoring the fact that I have a bazillion other UFOs that I haven't posted (or finished) yet....

Alpine Lace Scarf, bottom border

I started something new. But, I swear, I had no choice. Seriously!

This is my final project for English. Well, not just this, I also have to give a presentation. It's the Alpine Lace Scarf from Victorian Lace Today and my project is on the history of knitting.
You see, for my English final this year, we had a choice of two things we could do. We could either write a research paper and give a 5-10 minute presentation on it or we could make a 'product' like a model of an old building or a replica of a famous painting and give a 10-15 presentation on the architecture or the artist's contributions to society. Since I can't paint, sculpt, build, and hate writing papers, I asked if I could do my project on knitting. After persuading my teacher that I would be able to find the minimum three sources, she agreed to let me. So, now I'm knitting this shawl out of the bamboo that I spun. I started knitting on Thursday but I still haven't finished spinning the yarn yet. I started knitting it before I had all the yarn because I realized that I was wasting all this time I had at school. So, I wound up all the bamboo I had plied already on Wednesday night and cast on during Physics class the next morning.
At first, it was going really slow, but after the first chart repeat, I started to be able to see where the stitches should fall in the next row. The picture that I have up top is from last night. I'm actually a few rows farther than that, about to start the main center pattern.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Two posts in one month! I love it, especially that one of the posts was on my birthday. Aw... Awesome that you can knit for your English final!

     
  • At 12:29 AM, Blogger jeannette said…

    beautiful.. can't wait to see it finished

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger Holly Bee said…

    Very, very AWESOME!

    Very fiber, very English paper project! I love it!

     
  • At 12:02 PM, Blogger Linda said…

    Saw your completed scarf on Holly Bee's blog. Very Nice! Absolutely beautiful!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home